Beauty

I see Beauty everywhere.

But what I experience as Beauty extends far beyond the visible portion of the electromagnetic spectrum.

I see Beauty in compassion and kindness.

I see Beauty in the dignity and grace with which so many people meet the challenges of their lives.

I see Beauty in those whose achievements extend so far beyond what I imagine to be their grasp!

I see Beauty in humor.

I see Beauty in poetry and prose.

I see Beauty in intellect.

There is a common emotional quality to how I experience these aspects of Beauty.

• I feel a connectedness, a resonance, I feel pleasure and joy.

I watched Sherlock Holmes – Game of Shadows over the weekend, for the first time! (don’t ask)

In one scene the film Director gives the audience a glimpse of Holmes’ attention to detail at social settings.

• Holmes makes what seems to be a 360 degree survey of the room
  • The Director allows us to see what Holmes is seeing and hear what Holmes is hearing
  • Dr. Watson’s fiance then asks Holmes the question: ‘What do you see?’
  • To my wife’s shock I whispered ‘Everything’, just before Holmes responded with the same word

Holmes then elaborates with: ‘It is my curse’

I then whispered (to my wife’s further shock) ‘and my blessing and my gift’

So yes, I see Beauty in my Autism, albeit a gift that comes at quite a high price, to me and to my family.

Spectacular creatures and colors can be found in some of the the deepest parts of the oceans.

• Beauty that, without our fairly recent technology, Mankind would never have seen!
  • ย So why is it there?

I was once given the explanation that this is because God/the Creator/The Universe/The IS (fill in the blank) loves Beauty!

Hyper-focus, attention to detail and a fascination with the physical world are hallmark traits of Asperger’s Syndrome.

• They are also the main caricature features of the pop-culture ‘nerd’, ‘geek’, ‘dweeb’ or ‘dork’

But these are precisely the qualities that allow me to continuously experience the incredible Beauty of the World around me, with the fascination of a child!

• These are also the qualities of a disproportionate number of people who have led and continue to lead, human technological advancement
  • Thomas Edison discovered 10,000 ways to not make a light bulb, before he invented it!
  • Silicon Valley!
  • (fill in the blank)

My hyper-focus, attention to detail, awe and wonderment with our incredible planet/Universe and my social-anthropologist persona can be summarized with:

Life in every breath

and I am left wondering that if God/The Creator (fill in the blank) really does love Beauty so much…..

Maybe, just maybe, Autistic people are a little closer to God than we realize.

Beauty all aroundLife in every breath

1. Christine (Girl on Fire) Reed
    Jun 04, 2012 @ 13:27:27

Love this and totally agree.

And…have you watched the BBC’s new Sherlock series? He is a beautiful representation of all that I find wonderful about my autistic mind.

Jun 04, 2012 @ 16:35:33

I have seen some of the Sherlock episodes and I can’t get enough of them!

An exaggerated character, not unlike the Zuckerberg character in The Social Network and the Sherlock Holmes played by Robert Downey Jr.

I have been told that the latest movie and TV versions of Sherlock Holmes are actually the most faithful to the original books!

If this is true, perhaps Conan Doyle had a dash of Asperger’s!

3. Angel
    Jun 04, 2012 @ 19:05:26

Sherlock Holmes – Love! I see beauty throughout your whole post. So many great things to comment on, I have to just say … Love button for this post! ๐Ÿ™‚ (Otherwise I could end up writing about 500 words. Lol!)

Jun 05, 2012 @ 05:17:30

Thank you Angel, I’m glad this resonated with you, thanks for sharing.

Christine, I’ve just read your comment again and as with you, the BBC Sherlock character really captures my Autistic mind perfectly. Would happily watch every episode in one sitting and on a regular basis!

5. Joell
    Jun 06, 2012 @ 18:26:17

Again, I love your perspective! We also love Sherlock Holmes at my house. My son, who is a 17 year old Aspie, loves reading the short stories, watching the films and the BBC series. Personally, I also like the older PBS Sherlock Holmes series with Jeremy Brett as Sherlock. I especially enjoy the portrayal of Sherlock Holmes in the BBC series and find him fascinating. No question, both Sherlock and Sir Conan Doyle share a “dash of Asperger’s” as you said earlier!

Are you a Dr. Who fan, by chance?

Jun 08, 2012 @ 01:55:36

Thanks again for your comments.

I am old enough to have been a fan of the original Dr. Who TV series ๐Ÿ™‚

I was very comfortable with the idea of time travel and the amount of room that was contained in that tiny old Police box along with so many other abstract concepts – in stark contrast to how I often struggle with non-literal verbal communication!

The Autism paradox?

Robert Downey Jr will be a hard act to follow, but perhaps Nicholas Cage is in the running for the lead role as Dr. Who?

I hope my posts and pages are of some help to your family.

I am enjoying writing them and I have a lot of other topics in mind.

7. aregularcupofjo
    May 10, 2013 @ 15:23:06

You never know, but you can find beauty and humor in the most random of places. It is great that you have an eye for uniqueness and can see the wonder in everyday things.

8. Shackled and Crowned
    May 11, 2013 @ 09:20:40

I loved reading this post. This information is so helpful to me, as my future stepson is Aspergers. ๐Ÿ™‚

9. EmmaLesko'sSuperLexi (@LeskosSuperLexi)
    Jun 24, 2013 @ 17:25:17

“Maybe, just maybe, Autistic people are a little closer to God than we realize.” Mmmm… I like that