Autism in the Arabic world

My Autism movie reviews page now features 3 non-English language films.

While the provision of Autism services in developed countries may leave plenty of room for improvement, they are at luxury levels compared to the availability of Autism services in most developing countries, if they exist at all.

Autism Advocacy without boundaries

My blog already has regular visitors from every continent except Antarctica, so as part of my ongoing project I am also featuring Autism films and documentaries from the non-English speaking world.

Here are a few You Tube uploads from the Arabic world highlighting Autism in Saudi Arabia and Iraq.

Many thanks to Saudi resident @autism73 and Iraqi resident @ASSALIH1969 for sharing these video reports.

Saudi Arabia

GFCF diet via @autism73

Being in the shoes of an #Autistic child

Iraq

Autism Awareness in Iraq: CNN report via @ASSALIH1969

Dima Institute: Baghdad orphanage

1. Diederik Weve
    Oct 17, 2012 @ 16:29:19

I’ll be giving workshops on autism in Qatar in december. Hope te learn how autism is regarded upon in the ME.

Oct 17, 2012 @ 19:31:08

What aspects will you be covering?

• Diederik Weve
      Nov 14, 2012 @ 00:57:17

@spectrumscribe. The workshop tells a little about autism, key facts only. It tells most about how the brains functions: I use anumber of small psychological experiments to make people experience how their brains function and when they understand that, then I explain how autism differs.
      I do the Sally test with the audience and after that explain when and how ordinary people have learned to ‘read minds’. I show the heider-simmler moving triangles and explain that mental attribution is intuitive. I show context-dependent information and explain how the brain ‘solves’ the problem of information reductionby an intintuitive context recognition.

The objective of this all is to make people appreciate the intuitive workings of the brain, then how people who differ from average people have extra problems interfacing with the world. Lastly it makes clear that the different thought processes in autistic minds have value for the society.

Autism is firstly a Diversity.

3. Shaiju
    Oct 18, 2012 @ 03:04:52

Where and when?

• Diederik Weve
      Nov 14, 2012 @ 16:18:01

Spectrumscribe & Shaiju:
      Unfortunately this is a workshop for staff of a petrochemical company in Ras Laffan, so not open to the general public.
      I could give a public workshop on Tuesday 11 december in Doha, if someone locally arranges a venue and invitations and transport to/from my Doha hotel.
      The workshop is aimed at people who have limited knowledge of autism and want to experience what autism is about. I normally give the workshop to help people understand how autism manifests itself in people with normal or above normal intelligence, like engineers, doctors etc.

4. friendshaiju
    Nov 15, 2012 @ 01:56:51

how long will you be in Qatar?

5. Trackback: A World of #Autism – My mission « Postcards from the edge of the Spectrum